Saturday 9 July 2011

Betrothed

Well. A Direct Sequel to Proposal. Is strange. I have been writing lots of Squee of late... Not like me at all...
I suspect my subconcious is subtly trying to tell me something. I think it should lose the subtlety. Anyway...
Intellectual property of me, Jared G. Juckiewicz. Meaning, I hold the copyright.
Not really any warnings to be made.

As I wake, I realise there is something different. Something new. Nothing has changed from when I went to sleep. The glade is the same, the soft moss beneath me, the woolen blanket above. Vixen is still beside me, curled up against me. That hasn't changed. Such a pleasure to awaken besides my betrothed. That. That is the difference. See, I proposed last night, over a dinner of fresh hare. And mine lady accepted. Carefully, I roll back, away from her, and prop myself up against a tree, sitting and watching her sleep. She looks so peaceful. It makes a pleasant change. She begins to stir, rolling over and feeling for me.
When she doesn't find me, she bolts up to one knee, instantly awake, glancing about. Her gaze settles on me, and she relaxes. She gives me a look so full of love and affection it makes me melt. It is several minutes before either of us is willing to speak. "Breakfast, My love?" I ask her, and she nods. I hadn't brought food for breakfast, but the brook is full of trout. We shift, and a moment later a large wolf stands aside a large red fox on the banks of the stream. Our paws keep touching as we strike for fish, and after the a half a dozen such flawed strikes, she pounces at me. We tussle, rolling over and over, before landing heavily in the water. So much for fish for breakfast. Ah well, we could skip breakfast. We'd done it before. And our play in the stream has directed our interests in other directions. W'll be far later in starting back this day than we had originally intended.
As we return, we can see Lydia and Sara plittering about in the garden. They must have realised something was up. It couldn't have anything to do the silly grins that are plastered on our faces. Or the tight grip our hands hold on each others. And certainly not the way we periodically glance at each other. And smile, and giggle. And get lost in looking and lose our footing. Whatever the cause, as soon as we draw near the garden, we are accosted. "What's with you two?" Sara asks. And we glance at each other, and giggle again. Have you ever heard a werewolf giggle? It is one of the most disconcerting sounds in the world. Probably cause you say the wrong thing and one of the wolfsblooded can shift from giggling to tearing out your throat with his teeth in about a second and a half. Vixen recovers first, looks at Lydia and Sara, and explains. "This big lout proposed to me. We are to be married." By this point, I am able to begin speaking again, and confirm. "Aye. We just need to set a date. I'm thinking Imbolc. Or Beltane." Vixen nodded. There were cries of "Thats Wonderful" And, "Oh! I'm so happy for you!" As soon as we told Michael, he insisted on us doing naught bar celebrate for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment